Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter crafts

Let me first start off by saying that I know that Easter is not about a bunny, nor cute little chicks. I can't even put into words how thankful I am for the true reason for the holiday. He has RISEN, and one day, so shall I! But, I find the Easter decor so cute and I couldn't help myself. Not to mention that it affords me the opportunity to do something crafty with my daughter. That being said, this is how I created my little wreath. (I'm glad it came out pretty cute, cause boy it was a lot of trouble!)

I thought that my daughter would find enough eggs from the egg hunt that I wouldn't need to purchase any additional ones for this wreath, boy, was I wrong! I needed about 16 more than she found!!! So I had to trek into town and find some plastic eggs. The pound store (our equivalent to the dollar store) had very few left, and what was left, well, I bought them up! Lol. So, that is why there is a lot of yellow on this particular wreath. Also, I thought that I still had the spool of weed eater ribbon that we couldn't use anymore. Nope, that apparently had been thrown out. So, I had to find something else that would work. I didn't want to use metal hangers, (We don't have any, anyway. But in hindsight, it might have made this SO much easier!) I couldn't find any fishing line, but I was able to find embroidery thread (the kind you probably made friendship bracelets with as a child). So, that's what I used. (I'm very into having cute decor or doing craft projects that don't cost a lot of money. So I try to use whatever I have on hand.)
Estimated time to complete: 1 hour (unless you have mommy brain and are using embroidery floss, if that's the case, then triple it!)

Here's what you need:
Plastic Easter eggs
drill
ribbon
metal hanger/embroidery floss/fishing line/weed eater line (whatever you want to string it up with)
Here's what you do:
After I gathered all the supplies, the fun began. My daughter helped me to pull the ribbon from the yellow eggs (they were supposed to be ornaments). And I drilled holes on one side of the egg (most of them already had a hole on one side, weird, I know). It would have been smart of me to line up the eggs in the order that I wanted them in, but I thought I could do it in my head. That was not very smart (I still have a major case of the pregnancy/mommy brain!) I found the longest (and biggest eyed) needle I had and threaded the floss through. I began the task of stringing up the eggs. Finally, after restringing the eggs several times, the last egg was strung, and I tied the two ends together. I left a little bit of room to be able to move the eggs the way I needed them.

This is when the real fun (major sarcasm here) began! In order to make the ears, you have to twist the eggs around one another to create three circles. I busted the string twice! Finally I made one circle stand alone and ended up tying it onto the main circle (the one used as the face) to prevent any more breakage. Once this was done, I twisted the ears so that they would appear longer instead of rounded. Again, I snapped the string because I didn't leave enough slack. After restringing the eggs for the 785 time, I left enough slack that I could have put two or three eggs on it.

In the end, I ended up with, for the most part, the look that I wanted. Using a pastel pink ribbon, I tied a bow on the top of each ear to hang the wreath by. I never, ever, want to use embroidery floss for wreaths again!!! So if you plan on doing this wreath, or one like it, I would highly encourage you to use something that is more rigid so that you can control the shape.

I wanted to add a face to it too, but after the hour and half (or more) that it took me, I wad done! Maybe next year, or... maybe not.

Happy Easter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment