Thursday, April 5, 2012

Sisters: one of life's greatest treasures

This is another rainy day spring break activity. A cheap little project that was fun and easy!
The canvas was bought at the dollar store and the paint and brushes were already on hand at home.
Estimated time to complete: 1-1.5 hours depending on drying time

Here's what you need:
Art canvas
paint
brushes
glitter (again, it was a must with my 5 y/o)
paint pens

Here's what you do:

My daughter picked the color for the background and painted it (with a little help from mommy). After the paint dried, we painted her feet. Again, she picked out the color (pink, of course). I stamped her foot onto the canvas. They weren't as dark as they should have been, so I "traced" her feet with the paint (a couple layers more) and when it was the color I wanted I sprinkled glitter over the wet paint.
Once the paint was dried and the glitter was stuck on we painted our baby's feet a contrasting color (black) and stamped them down in the middle of the first set of prints. Again, the prints weren't dark enough so I traced them as well. A few layers later, the prints looked the way I wanted them to.

I scoured the internet looking for quotes about sisterhood and "big shoes to follow." But I didn't think that something like that would set the right "tone" for the painting. I'd found lots of quotes about sisters or sisterhood, but none that felt "right". I found the "Sisters: one of life's greatest treasures" and knew that it was what I wanted.

Using the paint pens that I already had, I wrote the quote on the painting.


It was an awesome activity for me to do with my children. And it's a painting that I will treasure forever. I only wish I had another canvas. I would have made two, so that when they grow up they could have them for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment