Friday, April 13, 2012

Homemade Nursing Tanks!


For those of you who know me, you probably know that I'm totally psyched about being able to nurse my little one. I wasn't able to with my first, so this is a wonderful thing to me (yes, even at 3am). I have no qualms about nursing in public. My thoughts on it are, "you eat freely, without being shoved in a private room." Of course, I'm fully covered (well at least my top half is), this is where my problem is. I've got nursing bras that the full cup comes down, which totally makes it easier (IMO) to feed, but my shirt still has to come up! So unfortunately, half of my back is hanging out for the world to see, and trust me when I say, I'm no Beyonce! I'm a real mom, so I have excess skin (he he he) back there. I've looked into nursing tank tops, but they're either ridiculously expensive, or they don't come in my size. I saw this awesome post on Pinterest and I had to try it out! (http://pinterest.com/pin/263812490642225571/) Mine are different than hers, but they all work out the same way. You can turn any tank top into a nursing tank. Oh the possibilities!

Estimated time to complete: 20 minutes (if sewing by hand) 10 minutes (if using a machine)

Here's what you need:
Spaghetti strap tank (or any tank would work so long as the straps are straight, no racer backs, or "wife beaters")
thread (I'd suggest the same color as your tank)
needle
seam ripper (I couldn't find mine so I just used scissors)

Here's what you do:
1. Either separate your straps from the shirt using your seam ripper (but be sure that you're only separating the strap or you'll be undoing the seam of the shirt) or you can just cut the straps as close to the seam line as possible.
2. Make a small loop out of the strap at the front of the shirt close to the seam line. (The larger the loop the longer the neck drop will be. But make sure it's big enough to fit over your clasp on your bra.
3. Sew the loop in place.
4. If you follow the post I got my idea from, you'll simply cut off the excess strap, but I thought that I'd be able to reuse my tank after my nursing needs are up. So I sewed the strap along the seam of the shirt heading towards the back. (That way when I'm no longer nursing, all I have to do is take out the stitches and resew the strap back to it's original position.)
5. To make this shirt the nursing tank, you'll need to pull the tab from your bra through the loop on the tank, then clasp the bra into place as normal. (see first picture)
That's all it takes!
Some words of wisdom, you can see from the second picture that the drop is still pretty low even with a small loop, but I figured that this will probably be worn under something so I'm not too worried about it. (And let's face it, when I was younger, the top of my bra hung out of my shirt anyway.) If you're modest, or you want to be able to wear the shirt without the top of your bra out, you can add a complimentary colored layer underneath by sewing a small piece of fabric across the shirt.
The biggest problem that I have with this shirt is that once you cut the strap from the back, there's nothing there to really hold up the shirt, so unless the shirt is tight, it will sag a bit, but again, I'm using mine in layers, so I'm not worried about it either. You could always use a size smaller and that should eliminate the problem too.
I hope that this helps the rest of you thrifty nursing mommies, or those of you who are making these for your pregnant or nursing friends!

1 comment:

  1. So, I literally just thought of a way to fix the problem with the no straps and the loose fit. Instead of separating the strap from the back, separate it from the front. You'll still make the loop on the end of the strap. Sew a button on the front where you separated the strap. When you're not nursing, the loop will fit over the button, holding the strap in place. When you're nursing, take the strap off the button.

    ReplyDelete